Tuesday, January 4, 2011

NOT MUCH CHANGED DOWNTOWN


For the first time in three years I attended a political function, this one the installation of new and used Council members. Mike Duman was the only fresh face in the Council proving that status quo in Suffolk is acceptable. I did meet an able rep of the group opposed to FourFarms, I believe her name is Morgan and she moved smoothly among the decision makers. My feeling is that few, if any, will go against the Planning Commission eight to zero vote, or her faultless argument. I enjoyed meeting and visiting with the Suffolk leaders like Jeff Gardy who pulled off a second victory in his borough and should receive a trophy. I renewed friendship with the Commonwealth guys, a good bunch, personable with great staying power. I met the handsome young and sharp next in line City Manager and attractive Lady George whom I thought was two different women with coincidental names. Of course my buddy Andy Damiani, Mr. Suffolk was there. We both need canes now, two war vets, Mutt and Jeff with wobbly knees making it difficult to carry a plate of ham biscuits, napkin, plastic cup of punch, small fork, cane and no place to sit. I managed to spill a shrimp with hot sauce on my sweater and watch it bounce off to a young woman’s slacks. I met our new Police Chief and he appears formidable but friendly and I decided never to get under his skin. There were others, mostly retired city employees like Jim Vacalis who helped me with planning problems thirty years ago. I thank Mayor Linda Johnson who provided dialogue during Suffolk’s ”Holiday” parade. She often used the words, “Merry Christmas.” a term fast fading from the American language. One last item, I learned that Market Street was once Spring Street, known for the many underground streams and springs in that area, perhaps the reason City Hall is falling apart.

No comments:

Deb's Education Corner