Saturday, April 30, 2011

THE MAYOR'S BEST SHOT

The annual Chamber of Commerce luncheon witnessed 400 curious folks there to hear if the mayor would say anything different than last year and the year before that, and the …she didn’t.  This city, in her opinion becomes more wonderful each year. I repeat, her opinion. It had to be difficult to find anything to highlight, and accomplishments other than how we muddled through another 365 days. Few in that audience saw her “completed public safety initiatives and increased economic development possibilities” as any more than words. And try to fathom this part of her speech. “As we tell our story, we are marketing who we are and what we have to offer to the businesses looking for a place to set up shop, to tourists looking for a place to visit, to conventions looking for a place to meet and, of course, to families looking for a place to call home.” And This was the Mayor’ clincher. “If I had to pick just one accomplishment of 2010 that I’m most proud of, it would be when I learned that Suffolk had been selected as one of the top 100 small cities to live in by CNN Money magazine.”
I will say this for the mayor. No one in our city government could have done better.

SHE DID FORGET TO  MENTION UP COMING TAXES.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a question Bob:Does she ride around with those "shears" in the trunk of her car?

Anonymous said...

They surely arent used in cutting the budget: Now that would be cause for a real celebration.

With full Understanding said...

We all deserve the mayor we have and how her politics have dirven our city into the ground. Even though less than one third of us voted for her, she is it. As she and her cronnies have refused to cut taxes in any way and now are even look at how to raise them, because they can we all need to decide if Suffolk is the place we really want to live and raise our familes. I have lived her all my life and I am now ashamed to say so, because of the embarassment of the people we have running our city so poorly. We have a goofy mayor who lives in a mental lala land wher all is golden, if you are the ruler. We have a manager who has not had a lucent thought in her head since coming to our city from Richmond and has no idea what to do but what the mayor tells her to do. We have a city council afriad to speak out for fear of "unraveling" the city budget they don't understand and should not support, but are to lazy to fix. We have a city staff that runs scared of the manager and her temper and is always under the possibility of getting sacked like the finance director for not toeing the manager's line or else. We have an electorate that is to sheepish and asleep to make or demand any changes even when it is so dearly needed. We thus have a city that I love, fast becoming a city I no longer want to live in. I cannot sell the house I inherited from my family who lived here for many years, that was once worth almost one million dollars and I now could not sell for a small fraction of that and then only to preditors like councilperson Parr the real estate swoop. So my city now has me cournered so to say and that speaks to how bad is has gotten and it all is not just due to the bad economy. I guess my only option is to seek to make the old house up as a B&B and get some of those many tourists the mayor always speaks of coming to Suffolk, to pay me my due by staying over a night, but only with the council's approval of my request. So full circle back to the stupidity of our leadership in Suffolk to fix my problem. It is NOT a good day to be in SUFFOLK!

Anonymous said...

Truth is always hard to fanthom by those in power for they survive only on greed and power. Problem is its we the citizens sell our ideas to those we think support our views, when they lead you to believe they do to or will before they get your vote, when its all over they didnt and dont. Well said WFU...

Anonymous said...

With a mayor so full of herself, don't expect anything to change until she is shown the door. With a manger that is nothing but an attack pooch for the mayor, don't expect any ideas from that quarter either. We are DOOMED!

I agree the WFU says it more to the point than anyone in the city. We need her of him for mayor for sure.

Anonymous said...

Don't look now be we are in experiencing the Great Society Era of Linda 'Baines' Johnson. All we want to hear from her is; I shall not seek, and I will not accept the candidacy of Mayor of the City of Suffolk.

David the Poll Watcher said...

Don't bet on Ms Linda not demanding another term as mayor. She is drunk with power and will not leave the bar any more than Mr Parr would leave the Buffet. This is only so because we all let it be so, by voting or not voting for the right people, or really anyone but them! I only hope that one candidate runs agains Linda this next time and she is out!

Deb's Education Corner