Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bob's Corner

I always enjoy Bob's comments and thoughts. I often wish I could be the prolific writer that he is. I continue to be proud to be a part of this public service blog - envisioned and started by Bob.

We've just started Bob's Corner on our website. The first of his articles is posted - and I've already emailed it several people, including my father-in-law, who is about the same age as Bob. Our stories span generations and Bob's first article has reminded me that I want to write some of my stories - maybe not just yet - but at some point. I'm thrilled and honored to have such a wonderful mentor to show the way. I hope you'll dig in to Bob's stories as he writes them and maybe you'll be reminded - as I was - of something important that you might like to do.

Go to Bob's Corner and visit it often!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that my friend "Pock" finds this worthy of the day and all the Pocks of that day..... known as D Day.

D-Day

Twelve miles they crossed on the ocean that day
ill unto death with the boat's sickly sway.
All this they forgot when they opened the door
and jumped from the boat toward the menacing shore.

Dragged down by their gear some drowned then and there.
They gasped their last breath and uttered a prayer.
Some made it to land where chaos did reign
and each wounded soldier then echoed their pain.

"Mama" one cried as he breathed his last
his voice drowned out by the gun's ugly blast.
A captain sat frozen from shell shock they say
He rose up at last and staggered away.

The fighting continued as many men died.
They fell to the sand, their guns by their side.
Some then scaled the cliffs and onto the land
engaging in combat, fierce was their stand.

When it was done and the enemy dead
a soldier said "Look" with a nod of his head.
The shore had turned red oh dear God what a sight
bodies lay floating they had lost the fight.

They raged at the carnage the battle had brought
lamenting the madness that evil had wrought.
Many years passed and they sat looking back
their thoughts on the boys lost in the attack.

They were so young on that day when they fell
but they had a job and they did it so well.
We'll never forget all those lives that were lost
their youth interrupted, the terrible cost.

We don't know much at home bout that terrible day
only those that survived have this to say
"Here's to you guys and we say this with love"
and the heroes smiled back looking down from above.

Unknown

A Spartan said...

My Uncle Willie from the Uk never spoke much about what he saw and did in North Africa. He said even less about his experiences on D-Day. He didn't need to, we understood the deep rooted memories forged by fire, terror and rage were better left un-said along with the pain and sorrow. He occasionaly brings up happier times of his youth and we enjoy hearing his stories over and again. The smile in his eyes and chuckle is shared by all in the room.

I and the generations that followed can never repay the debt we own to the Uncle Willies and Pocks. We must never forget their sacrifice and be ever thankful for the time we've had to know them. Tomorrow is the the 65th Anniversary of the Normandy Landing. Please join me by taking a moment to thank them.

Deb's Education Corner