Thursday, April 28, 2011

AT 86 I HAVE SEEN MOST EVERYTHING

Except a tornado described as sounding like a freight train. I have seen the results many times and talked to people that lived through it. One young mother lost her little boy when he escaped her hand and ran into the collapsing boat well to save his fishing pole. This has been a record with over 800 storms that produced tornados. Twice this year I prepared for “lights completely out,” its not easy dragging out the generator, but rather before the storm, not during. And today they warn us again, so should I or take a chance that the storm will go away a third time? As I sat on a bench and contemplated I noticed our bluebird house about ten feet away. Ordinarily this time of year bluebird parents are trying to kick their first brood out of the birdhouse so they can start another family. And it looked like the young birds were cooperating, a head poked out as if the baby was surveying the territory for predatory animals. I was surprised that the adult male flew at the door opening scaring the “baby” back in. This happened three times before I realized what was going on. There was no evidence of a hawk in the area so it must be that there really will be a storm tonight. The bluebirds don’t want their kids out in a storm. OK, I’ll drag out the generator again. You can’t beat mother nature.

No comments:

Deb's Education Corner