Sunday, May 30, 2010

IT IS A SAD DAY


Just in World War II, according to the gold stars on the wall of that memorial, 430,000 were killed, their lives ended almost before they were started. I call it my war and many of those who lost their lives I knew as “buddies.” And now, 66 years later, almost all of us have moved on. I won’t be going to any sales.

I don’t know the total killed in all American wars, I just know that freedom has a terrible price. Just down the road from my home is the area veteran’s cemetery and I pass by it often. That wall of stones moves ever closer to the street and funerals are held so often they must be scheduled. The Horton Veteran resting place serves as a constant reminder of the courage of man.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob your are correct sir. All that you say is true. Thou the day is to honor our fallen, it is hallowed ground such as Arlingon and every Veterans cementary in this country that defines why we need to honor, respect those who are at rest. There are some who seem to forget the real meaning of why these places exist. When our CIC constantly bows down before our enemies (current and former) and apologize for American military successes (current and former) he is unfit to address the fallen and disturb their rest by walking those hallowed grounds.

Deborah Wahlstrom said...

How do we thank those who have served on our behalf? For me, it's hard to find the words. My dad is a veteran - as are my father-in-law and husband. I am surrounded by family members who would give their lives so we can live freely in the greatest nation on Earth. I carry their service in my heart and remember to thank them often. Our veterans - family, friends, and those I've never met - are my personal heroes.

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't someone ask our soon to graduate public school seniors what is Memorial Day all about. You would be horrified at their answers. So as we watch the future leaders of our country prepare to walk to receive their diploma stop and think what rubbish they have been indoctrinated with by those that want to tear it down. See you and your children Monday 1100 hours at Cedar Hill.

Anonymous said...

It rained in Chicago today and washed out the messiahs messge. God really does have a sense of humor doesnt he.

Deb's Education Corner